Living in God's words

This is all about the goodness of this well-addressed supernatural being - our Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tatlong Tinapay at Isang Bote ng Softdrinks (Three Pieces of Bread & a Bottle of 7-Up)

I was walking fast on the street of Ilustre going to Gaisano South Mall to do my groceries. An old man who’s looking timid and tired met me on my way and said,

“Day, tagai ko og dos palit nako og tinapay kay gigutom na kaayo ko.” (Please give me two pesos to buy bread because I’m so hungry.)

I looked at him. I was thinking I don’t have any loose change in my purse. I have two one thousand bills and a few hundreds. I darted away from him. But as I was nearing the entrance of the mall, I hurriedly ran back to find the old man. Gratefully, he walks slowly inch by inch so I was still able to get a hold of his arm. I said to him,

“Dali, nong palitan ta ka og tinapay.” (Come with me, sir I will buy you bread.)

I wanted to bring him to Minute Burger in front of where we were standing but I noticed he’s too tired already. Gladly there’s a bakeshop a few steps away. I ushered him inside, made him sit and ordered two big monay, one mammon topped with cheese and a 12oz. bottle of 7-Up. He then began to eat and sipped the cold liquid.

Mashfa: Taga asa diay ka, nong? Asa ka gapuyo? (Where do you live?)

Old Man: Sa Bucana sa may boulevard. (In Bucana near boulevard.)

Mashfa: Unsa imong pangalan? (What’s your name?)

Old Man: Rene. Rene Logroso.

Mashfa: Pila na imong edad? (How old are you?)

Old Man: 72.

Mashfa: Asa man imong mga anak? (Where are your children?)

Old Man: Wala ko’y mga anak. (I don’t have children.)

Mashfa: Asa imong asawa? (Where is your wife?)

Old Man: Wala man koy asawa. Tigulang ko ulitawo. (I don’t have a wife. I’m an old bachelor.)

Mashfa: Kung muuli ka sa inyuha kinsa imo kauban sa inyuhang balay? (Who’s with you at home?)

Old Man: Nakipuyo lang ko sa akuang amigo. (I’m staying at my friend’s house.)

Mashfa: Nag-unsa man ka dinhi sa gawas? Asa man diay ka gikan? (What are you doing here on the streets? Where have you been?)

Old Man: Gikan ko sa Bajada nagbisita sa akong ig-agaw. (I went to Bajada to visit my cousin.)

Mashfa: Naglakaw lang ka? (You walked from Bajada to here?)

Old Man: Oo. Exercise man ni, day. (Yes. It’s a form of my exercise.)

(I felt like smiling but I pinched myself not to).

Mashfa: Wala ka nangayo og plete sa imong ig-agaw pauli? (You didn’t ask money from your cousin for your fare going home?)

Old Man: Wala man to sila’y kwarta. (They don’t have money.)

As he was eating..

Old Man: Dili man nako ni mahurot tanan, day. Iuli nalang ni sa tindera. (I can’t eat all the bread you had bought, might as well return them to the saleslady.)

Mashfa: Sige lang, nong balunon nalang nimo. (It’s ok, sir. I’ll have them wrapped for you.)





When he was good to go, I handed him his bread in a plastic and told him I’ll have him ride the jeep going to where he lives, my last offer was declined and said he’d like to walk home since the sun is not visible during those hours.

“Salamat ani, day ha.” (Thank you for this.) Those were his last words to me before turning his back and started to go on his way.

I was relieved but still felt guilty why I hesitated to help the old man the moment he was asking for only two pesos wherein I could buy four to five loaves of bread in a week just for my afternoon snacks at home. 

I traced my steps back to the entrance of the mall and bought stuff for my ones at home. As I was searching for my wallet to pay the cashier for my purchases, I saw the receipt issued to me by the bakeshop where I bought snack for the old man. It was 48 PhP. I paid the mall 2, 000 PhP.


For the last two weeks of this January, this was my second time to be in a situation like this. Only with the first, I had let it pass. I wasn’t able to help the old man.

Lord, have your way in me. Make me a channel of Your never-ending blessing. I’ll always be of service.

No comments: