Living in God's words

This is all about the goodness of this well-addressed supernatural being - our Lord Jesus Christ.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Utang Ko Ito

Debt is that which is owed; usually referencing assets owed, but the term can also cover moral obligations and other interactions not requiring money (Wikipedia). As far as my mind could grasp & reach, the term debt comes in hand with the word borrowed.

As per The U.S National Debt Clock the outstanding public debt of the U.S Nation as of January 9, 2011 at 8:10:44 AM (GMT) is $14, 022, 105, 385, 979.23 and their National Debt has continued to increase an average of $4.18 billion per day since September 28, 2007!  The U.S as the center of trade & industry, commerce & somewhat all – knowing they have a debt this big, what should I think then about the debt status of my country, the Philippines?

Setting aside the issue of my country and the U.S’ debts, I’d like to reflect on my own debt – yes, I’m talking about my owed things. Thankfully, in my two years of being married to my wonderful husband, we didn't incur much of this word. With an honest heart and tongue, the day we were married by a pastor & also our friend, we didn't receive any gift. The day before our wedding day, I, my husband and his father went to Bukidnon (my hometown) to join my family & relatives, butchered two goats for dinner and went back to the city after sleeping there for one night. The next day, there were only ten heads who witnessed our very simple ceremony. After that, my father gave me 1, 000 PhP and my father-in law handed me 3, 000 PhP. I had 1, 000 Php left in my wallet. And that was all. The following day, I paid our house cashier 5, 500 PhP for our room rent and for our food. I had to withdraw another 500 Php from my ATM card to cover another 500 bucks. We started from ALMOST nothing. Our things were all basic: in the kitchen, for our bed, to our clothes.

But our God is not blind. After I gave birth to our daughter, my father had given me his rights of his bought lot just within the city to whatever use or purpose I see will benefit me and my new family. I passed it on to my husband, Rex to which he then made an action. Within two months from my notice to him, we were then building our first humble dwelling. I was always grumbling and complaining to my husband why he went immediately with his plan of building our first house in such a kind of place! Later, I soon came to realize the advantages of having our house (simple & quiet) and learned how to be grateful. Having this small house costed us 80, 000 – 90, 000 Php. The initial part of this amount came from my husband’s money he earned when he was still single. A sum of 20, 000 PhP was borrowed from my sister-in law Ate Ody and her husband Kuya Reg (thanks to both of you, allowing us to use a part of your means so we could start over). Other parts of the whole amount were being handed, offered and extended to us by our parents, my brother-in law Ralph, Nathan a very close friend of ours, some of Rex’s friends and from our salaries and small earnings. Indeed, God is always at help and of assistance.

Consequences rise anytime without giving warning. But we are always grateful we surpassed them all with arms wide open for God’s pruning of our marriage. I too, myself was and is learning to accept God’s tests on me and in my marriage while giving me blessings on the other side. Such a great and kindhearted God. And there will be more consequences coming we need to get through. 

Borrowing money/things from people, banks, institutions and among others entails obligations & responsibilities and number one is to RETURN what was borrowed, in exact amount, shape, quantity and form or with interests. I was just grateful my credit card (I was an extension of my Aunt Nel’s credit account with a bank) got lost a month before it will expire. So, I wasn’t anymore tempted to ask my aunt to still include mine if ever she’ll renew her credit line. That was the end of that card account. I have two remaining cards but one is a debit and the other one is savings so I don't have anything to swipe whenever my urge of extravagant and unnecessary spending comes to my mind for I can't afford to spend unwisely what I had spared and saved. ^_^

Study shows today that most of the people within the middle class to the higher class go shopping using credit cards. Even the ones who shop online also use the same kind of method. I was taught by my parents to pay cash whenever I want to purchase something. It’s still good to pay in cash. Debt/Credit Experts have this line: Do not buy when you don’t have cash. If you have cards, better leave them at home before going out.

Let’s flip the other side of the coin. How about if we talk about the debt that had cost and took Jesus Christ’s life on the cross? It ain’t Jesus’ debt, it’s my debt.  I wonder if I could ever pay for it. I was meditating on this children’s song a few days ago while munching on some bananas:

He paid a debt He did not owe
I owe a debt I could not pay
I needed someone to wash my sins away
And now I sing a brand new song
Amazing grace
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could NEVER pay.

True, I could never ever pay the debt which Christ paid on the cross for me. I only had one life, and it was spared because He sacrificed Himself so I will be saved. I can pay the money I owed but I can never do nor redo what Jesus did for me on Calvary.

1 comment:

Bea said...

God bless you more & your marriage.